5 Summer Makeup Tips for Acne Sufferers
June is Acne Awareness Month! Acne is a growing issue among people of all stripes and ages – nearly 85% of people between the ages of 12 and 24 will suffer with acne at some point! It’s not only teenagers, either. People well into adulthood still deal with acne on a daily basis, which is why we have Acne Awareness Month, to address this and raise awareness, so that people can learn to live a little bit more comfortably as they deal with the condition.
With that in mind, we thought we’d give you a few tips and tricks to help keep yourself looking fresh and beautiful in the summer months, even during a flare-up. Here are 5 summer makeup tips for those suffering with acne.
- Always choose non-comedogenic products. Acne is produced by an excess of “sebum,” which is a liquid produced by your skin, mixing with (gross, we know) dead skin flakes on the skin’s surface and clogging your pores. Non-comedogenic products are ones that won’t clog up your pores and won’t leave you with that oily, sticky feeling on your skin.
- Simplicity is key. When dealing with an acne flare-up, using as few products as possible will be a huge benefit to you, so make sure to find some that work for you and incorporate multiple uses. Rosalique, of course, works in a multitude of ways, instantly concealing spots and redness, while soothing the skin and getting to work on reducing symptoms over time. It is very lightweight on the skin, so it won’t exacerbate any inflammation or redness you’re experiencing. It also contains SPF 50 to protect against harmful UVa/UVB rays, further protecting your skin as it heals.
- Use makeup applicators. When experiencing an acne flare-up, the last thing you want to do is excessively touch your face. Doing this transfers all the grease, grime and dirt from the day so far directly onto your face and into your pores, inflaming them and making your skin oilier than it was before. Brushes and pads are an absolute must! Make sure to wash your brushes every 7 to 10 days to prevent new break-outs. While the brushes apply make-up to your skin, they also pick up dirt that’s already on your face, which might then be reapplied to your skin the next time you use the brush. Avoid this by keeping them clean!
- Embrace a natural look. As we said before, 85% of people between 12 and 24 suffer from some form of acne, with many, many of those people carrying the condition into adulthood. With that in mind, why be embarrassed about something that affects almost everyone? Keep the make-up to a minimum to avoid bombarding your skin with chemicals. Use a primer and a bronzer that give your skin a summery glow and let that natural beauty shine through!
- Make sure to remove your makeup before you go to bed. It can be so tempting to think “forget it, I’ll deal with the panda eyes in the morning.” Don’t! taking the time to remove your makeup before you go to bed will leave you, not only with clean sheets tomorrow, but also with a clean face, giving your skin time to breathe and relax after a busy day beneath your concealer. Use an oil-free makeup remover and wash your face afterwards using a gentle cleanser. Avoid scrubbing your face if you can, as excessive tugging can irritate the skin further. If you apply any acne medication overnight, do so after cleansing the skin, and then apply a non-comedogenic moisturiser afterwards. Our sister company Salcura has an excellent selection of natural moisturisers to cleanse your pores and keep your skin hydrated.
These tips should help you through the summer months as the sweaty heat causes acne to worsen. Use Rosalique daily to see the best results when dealing with acne and rosacea. Stop worrying about your skin and get back to living life this month!